While we have a wide variety wedding dresses to choose from in many fabrics at True Society, one of the most classic and popular wedding dress fabrics is lace! There are so many types of this beloved fabric, from the most delicate Chantilly laces to boho crocheted lace to opulent Venetian lace.
Whether you want an all-lace look or just a few lace appliqués as an embellishment, the True Crew has you covered! Keep reading to learn how to choose the right lace wedding dress, find out which laces are the most popular and to see some of our favorite lace wedding dresses.
Tips to Keep in Mind When Choosing a Lace Wedding Dress
Remember these tips when shopping for the lace bridal gown of your dreams!
- There are so many ways to incorporate lace into your wedding day look! Your bridal dream may be an all-lace gown, or perhaps just a lace trim on a veil or train may be enough lace for you. There is no right or wrong amount of lace!
- Are you afraid that lace may be too busy? A finer lace like Chantilly is more delicate and less likely to overwhelm your frame. Lace appliqués placed on a netting background on a sleeve, back or neckline also allow your skin to peek through for a beautiful contrast and high-fashion look.
- Keep the season in mind! Lace is gorgeous all year, but heavier laces may suit a cold-weather wedding, while lighter varieties are ideal for warmer months.
- When finding the ideal lace for your wedding gown, pay attention to the pattern! Floral laces are classic and absolutely stunning for an outdoor wedding. However, graphic laces provide the ideal compromise between traditional and contemporary for the modern bride who still wants that bridal look.
Why You Should Consider a Lace Wedding Dress
With so many bridal fabrics to choose from, why should you say “I do” to a lace wedding dress? Check out all the great reasons our True Crew gathered:
Lace is Timeless
For centuries, lace has been used to create wedding dresses and is still a go-to fabric for brides nowadays. While different varieties of lace may gain popularity as trends shift, this fabric will be worn by brides for years to come.
Lace is Luxurious
Lace, especially handmade lace, is fit for royalty! There is a reason why Queen Victoria wore a satin bridal gown with a Honiton lace flounce in 1840, and Kate Middleton wore a wedding dress with a lace bodice, sleeves and a lace appliquéd skirt for her wedding to Prince William centuries later in 2011. The intricacy of lace lends itself to an elevated bridal look.
Lace Adds Texture
If you’re looking for a gown with visual interest, lace is your fabric! Layered lace appliqués, bold corded laces and even the most delicate Chantilly laces add extra detail to your dress and bring dimension to fabrics like satin, crepe or tulle. A lace with metallic threading or beading adds even more detail for an ornate and regal look that only lace can achieve!
Lace Provides Options
Lace is a wonderfully versatile fabric that works well with various wedding dress silhouettes, body types and wedding aesthetics. Check out some of the reasons why lace is such a versatile wedding dress fabric:
- Lace is quite flattering! It can be used on the sleekest column gowns or for a dreamy A-line. A heavier beaded lace hugs the body while minimizing any areas that a slinkier fabric like silk may highlight.
- Lace wedding dresses always have a super bridal look! While satin wedding dresses may look red carpet ready, a gown in lace always gives off those bridal vibes.
- If you believe that small details can make a significant impact, then lace is the fabric for you! A lace-trimmed train or sleeve instantly elevates your dream dress to the next level by adding dimension with intricate motifs.
- Not into an all-lace look but still want to incorporate this bridal fabric? Lace can be used in so many ways! A lace embellished illusion back, lace sleeves, a lace-trimmed hem or even bridal accessories, like lace gloves or a veil, add that beautifully bridal touch to your look without feeling overwhelming! Everything Brides Need to Know About Wedding Dress Fabrics can be found on our blog so you can learn even more about all the options available to you!
Characteristics of Lace
The beauty of this fabric is that there are so many lace types to choose from, and each has its own special characteristics.
- Lace can be made of a variety of fibers, from cotton to polyester to silk and even linen.
- Delicate laces have smaller stitches and finer threads. French laces often have “eyelashes” along the edge and are often used to trim a neckline or hem.
- Be careful when choosing your jewelry that you don’t pick anything that will catch on the lace and pull the threads. Lace tends to be delicate and can be easily damaged.
- Lace doesn’t wrinkle too easily, making it excellent for a destination wedding dress!
- This versatile fabric can be vintage or modern, depending on the pattern and how it is made. Handmade lace is time and labor-intensive and may only be used for smaller lace details, while machine-made lace is produced much more quickly, making it better for larger areas or even an entire gown.
Lace Wedding Dresses
With so many types of lace to choose from, it can be difficult to narrow down the options! Here are a few of our most popular laces for wedding dresses.
Floral Lace Wedding Dress
Florals are one of the most popular motifs and are often used in Alençon lace, a needle lace with a 3-D effect produced by the cording that outlines the details of the pattern. Essense of Australia Style D3639 features gorgeous florals and is sparkling with beaded accents throughout the fit-and-flare silhouette.
Dreamy off-the-shoulder straps gather at the plunging neckline for a whimsical wrapped effect, while the plunging neckline is accented by the organic edges of the floral lace, adding an elegant appeal. The flared tulle skirt is adorned with hand-placed lace appliqués for an utterly romantic bridal look.
Illusion Lace Wedding Dress
Illusion lace is ideal for the bride who wants a more modern look or desires coverage or support without being overwhelmed by an abundance of fabric. Elegant and modern, Essense of Australia Style D3484 combines timeless elegance and glamour with illusion lace. With a touch of sparkle, the beaded spaghetti straps meet the natural edges of the rosette lace for a romantic appeal.
The ultra-flattering deep V-neckline is outlined in charming botanical lace over a sheer bodice for a touch of sexiness. From the deep side cutouts, a low illusion back is adorned with floral lace. To finish, the luxe form-fitting silhouette blends into a fit and flare skirt with frothy layers of tulle and scattered lace appliqués to complete this chic allover lace wedding dress.
Graphic Lace Wedding Dress
Graphic lace is another variety of lace loved by brides! Essense of Australia Style D3565 utilizes this bold style of lace on its opulent beaded and sequin embellished lace bodice fit for royalty.
A timeless sweetheart neckline extends to delicate off-the-shoulder lace straps that match the sheer bodice. Mikado fabric dramatically drapes from the natural waist to form a full, voluminous ballgown skirt with beaded lace detailing on the train. This wedding dress offers a classic bridal look with runway-worthy appeal!
Wedding Dress with Lace Appliqués
Lace appliqués can add a touch of lace to a simple gown or stunning ornate dimension for the ultimate bridal opulence. Martina Liana Luxe Style LE1226 is an allover lace column gown with pearl straps and a demure scooped neckline. With contoured seaming and exposed boning, the bodice’s corset look adds an alluring modern touch.
The gorgeous open back features pearl-studded illusion tulle with delicate lace appliqués that connect to the softly ruched hips for that form-hugging sheath silhouette. In an opulent finish, a long cathedral lace train cascades from the hip and melts into the sheer sparkle of the detachable bridal jacket for the ideal look for the fashion-forward bride.
Venetian Lace Wedding Dress
Venetian lace, also known as Guipure lace, is a French bobbin lace with a bold look that adds stunning texture to wedding dresses. Essense of Australia Style D3144 is a lace and soft crepe wedding gown that captures the cleanliness of modern style and romance of a classic wedding day look. A square neckline features a subtle sweetheart dip along the bust, with lace straps and a sheer bodice encrusted with layers of gorgeous laces.
The artful patterns extend onto the stark crepe fabric of the skirt, cascading over the hips and midsection to flatter and shape your curves. Curved seaming further enhances your shape in this effortless sheath silhouette, while the back brings a high-end look to the design with lace appliqués layered over illusion. The long, artful train features cutouts and a mix of French and graphic laces to add dimension and texture for a timeless and striking finish.
Leafy Lace Wedding Dress
Vine and leaf motifs are some of the most popular when it comes to bridal laces, including Alençon lace, Chantilly lace and Guipure lace, and can fit a variety of bridal aesthetics from classic to boho. Martina Liana Style 1525 is an exquisite lace column wedding dress that has a chic combination of traditional bridal style and modern bohemian glamour.
This gown features an all-over vintage-inspired lace to accentuate the long sheath silhouette. Available with classic sheer long lace sleeves or without sleeves, this timeless bridal look is complemented by the dramatic plunging deep V-neckline lined in sheer illusion tulle. Optional sparkling sequin accents add to the shimmering look of the glitter tulle underlay, while the soft sweeping train completes this ultra-luxurious and seriously show-stopping look.
If you’re ready to begin shopping, you can find a True Society store and book an appointment today. Our True Crew stylists can’t wait to assist you! Gown availability varies per store.